Test Dates Matrix
ACT v. SAT
The best way to decide which test is right for you is to take a timed full-length practice test in each. Since the content and style of the SAT and ACT are very similar, factors like how you handle time pressure and what types of questions you find most challenging can help you determine which test is a better fit. For example, the pace of the SAT gives you a tad more time to think through problems, while the ACT can be more of a time crunch. Some students really thrive under the pressure of the clock, while others prefer the extra time to ponder a question.
Take a free practice test via the Princeton review website:
ACT or SAT? Do you know which test is right for you?
Compare the two exams here.
- The VSAC resource library in Winooski has lots of books you can borrow.
- Google "test taking strategies" or "studying for tests" for additional resources.
Test Taking Strategies
- Bookstores have test preparation materials
- Test prep books can be borrowed from the library
- VSAC resource library has several test prep books to borrow (10 East Allen Street in Winooski)
- There are private companies that offer SAT/ACT preparatory courses for a fee
- Free Online Test Prep
- SAT Site – Has practice Questions & Other Resources
- Vocabulary Game - Can help study for verbal sections of tests
- SAT Tips